Guide to Translating Finnish Statutes into English and Treaties into Finnish published
The Guide to Translating Finnish Statutes into English and Treaties into Finnish has been prepared by the Prime Minister’s Office to provide instructions and advice for translating Finnish legislation into English and for producing Finnish translations of English treaties.
The guide includes:
– a list of terms and phrases that should be used in translations
– advice on translating the names of statutes
– instructions on the use of headings, cross-references and numbering
– advice on other language matters
– information on the relationship between Finnish and EU legislation from a translation viewpoint
– a list of terms and phrases that should be used in translating treaties into Finnish.
The guide's instructions and advice should be followed in all English translations of Finnish statutes and Finnish translations of treaties. The guide will be updated as necessary.
Any questions and comments on the Guide are welcome and can be sent to englanti(a)vnk.fi.
Two other publications published as part of the Guide: